Saturday 17 August 2013

Serger Vs Me

I love my serger, don't get me wrong-it cuts back on time and finishes seams like DREAM...BUT today was a different story. Today all I wanted to do was serge some suit pants before I did a blind hem by hand. That's all, and of story-simple right?! Wrong. :(



What should have been an hour or hour and a half job ended up taking three hours and a lot of frustration and colourful words from me. Here is what happened. I had white thread on the serger already, I wanted to change it to black thread because I was going to be hemming black, dark grey and navy blue suit pants. I wanted it to look more professional because you can't have white thread on dark pants-it's tacky and not very nice to look at. So, I followed the instructions on how to change your thread from one colour to another-that was the easy part. What followed next was not so simple, easy or helpful. After tying the two threads together and replacing the white with black spools on the rack I started the peddle and everything was going OK to start. Then all of the sudden things got complicated in a BIG way.


The Fourth thread the yellow thread wouldn't catch and I couldn't keep it through the little guides along the way. Apparently the tweezers are supposed to help you with this process...apparently in my opinion they don't. LOL I kept on trying to feed it through like the colourful pictures told me to do, but I still wasn't getting it. Then I would try some more and just when I thought I had it I would start the feed through and it wouldn't "serge" it just came out in lines or snapped back into the machine,
my awesome tweezers didn't help either. I was so frustrated...hubby asked why I didn't just use the other sewing machine-but this time I was in it cause I was SO mad that I couldn't make it work I was in this now-until the stupid black thread STAYED in the yellow feeds!
So about half an hour into this mad decision I made, I decided the colour guide wasn't working so I got the manual out and well, that sort of helped...but it was still confusing...see what I mean??
And between that and the colour guide-below I managed after a total of 45 minutes to thread and SERGE a "tail" of thread!!!!!...Holy molly there has GOT to be an easier way of threading a machine...

Then I serged my dark suit pants all three pairs (and before the light colour pants) and was happy to at least have it working. Has anyone else been through this thread torture?! Have any tips or tricks?? I would love to hear them! I am still in love with this machine but WOW, who knew threading could be so difficult...so that is why the white is staying put for a while...LOL
And sometimes, the original is best <3 Maybe hubby was kind of right this time? Naaaaaaa! LOL





 

No comments:

Post a Comment